The Parent visa (subclass 103) lets parents live permanently in Australia if they have a child who is an Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen who is settled in Australia.

Most applicants must be sponsored by their child. The sponsor needs to have lived lawfully in Australia for the two years immediately before the application is lodged.

This is a permanent residence visa. It lets you and any family members who have also been granted this visa:

  • stay in Australia indefinitely

  • work and study in Australia

  • enrol in Medicare, Australia’s scheme for health-related care and expenses

  • apply for Australian citizenship (if you are eligible)

  • sponsor eligible relatives for permanent residence

  • travel to and from Australia for five years from the date the visa is granted (after that time, you will need a resident return visa or another visa to return to Australia).

You can sponsor your parent for this visa if you are:

  • 18 years of age or older

  • living lawfully in Australia for at least two years before the visa application is lodged one of the following:

    • an Australian citizen

    • an Australian permanent resident

    • an eligible New Zealand citizen.